Pretty hands do pretty things when pretty times arrive.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

"We don't want the monster taking over."

What a week.

I am so blessed. Blessed with a family that supports me, blessed with great friends who never let me get too serious (I try to keep myself that way too), and blessed by a gracious and powerful and loving God.

It's funny how you can live for a bit in some circle of light and, even when taking a giant (and potentially catastrophic) leap into the darkness at the edge, everything can fall into place and it's just astounding. So now that that's off my chest...

Today, Messiah College was closed...for the Special Olympics. These Olympics were part of "Service Day", an all-day event in which Messiah students participate in service projects from refurbishing low-income housing in Harrisburg, to working at local food banks, to...well, the Special Olympics. And what a Special Olympics it was.

The kid that I was a "Buddy" for was named Taz. He was a 6-grader from a local elementary and he was pretty shy at first. But when we met up with some of his friends before the 50-meter dash, this kid just lit up. They were running around and talking about who could run the fastest and they even thought it was just great and dandy to put "bunny-ears" behind peoples' heads with their two fingers...despite there not being a single camera in sight! And then, Taz's step-dad met up with us, and he and I cheered Taz on during his heat. I gotta tell you, it's a great and refreshing and humbling sight to see a father (well, step-father) who loves his son so dearly and is just totally satisfied and excited to watch his kid get 6th place in a local Special Olympics race.

And now I have three papers and some studying to do. But it's been a good week. To borrow from Nacho:

"Really good!"

Pray for the families and kids affected by the VT tragedy.

--Brandon

"Go and tell the king that the sky is falling in. But it's not."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home